[deletia]
It stands for everything that's been lost
Wednesday, May 08, 2002
Nothing much happened today. I woke up really late and I'm feeling a little disoriented. It's almost 4:30 in the afternoon and I don't have any things that I have to do today, which makes me feel strangely unaccomplished. I feel like I'm tweedling my thumbs waiting for something to happen.. but no such luck I guess.
I am fiddling around with the idea that man is always trying to find a new project to pursue. I was reading this book that Michelle "inspired" me to get: Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. I think basically it's a history of physics from Newton to the Superstring Theory. It's really cool; a light read that is not light-weight. But you realise that history (for physics at least I guess) spins off similar scenarios that always paint someone trying to chase after the "impossible." For example, Einstein spent the last 30 years of his life, desparately searching for the "Theory of Everything." Now, physicists seem to have come up with the best contender for that title and that is the "Superstring Theory." I don't think I understand the physics part of it but I think Kaku is very helpful in dishing out analogies to help us common layman to visualise exactly what the project of physics is. I feel a little threatened when I read the book because I realise that physics' quest for the "Theory of Everything" is perhaps an elegant form of reduction. What I mean is that Physics seem to want to fit everything in the world into a model. But what will we do AFTER that? is something that I really want to know. Do we go on with our lives as before? Or will the world be a place where "all would be silent and still and each thing in its last place, under tha last dust?" (Beckett, Endgame). Of course what I think that means is that the world will just be dead, without consciousness. Maybe not physically but certainly metaphorically, not unlike the horrible mechanic universe painted by Dostoevsky in Notes from Underground.
posted by Sharon K at 1:32 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




You can reach me at scornfate at gmail dot com, if you can be arsed.


 
  May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005


Site Feed


You are Site Meter

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger