[deletia]
It stands for everything that's been lost
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
I realise that I spend an obscene amount of time almost each day before I leave the house choosing the CDs that will accompany me in the journey to work. I hadn't given it much thought before but now I realise that I had better do something about it before I go mad trying to rush for the bus and sneaking into the office late.

Let's analyse why it seems so difficult choosing commuter music:
It seems that the main problem for me at least, is to choose the music that will complement the mood I'm currently in.
Problem: Sometimes, you just don't know what mood you are in. And if you try and analyse it too much, you lose the mood itself.

I've tried on several occasions to just randomly select whatever CD my fingers go through. But this definitely does not work. Because if you should choose a CD that's "wrong," you are going to be stuck with it the entire time you are squashed like a sardine in a train. Anyone who's taken a train during the morning rush before should understand the sheer difficulty (or near impossibility) of changing a CD in your discman while trying desperately hanging on to a pole and not revealing the contents of your bag to bored and curious fellow commuters.

On good days, I wake up with a song already in mind. It's cool cos I know what CD I'm going to bring. Therefore, there's not going to be the frustrating 20 minute STARE into my CD collection. Everything seems planned out nicely. It's cool cos you know you are going to be a better mood in the commute, the transitory stage between my little world and the big bad world of work awaiting me, and maybe the big bad world of work would be easier to bear.

On bad days however, none of my CDs feel right. None of them will be able to bridge my safe world to that of work. I need to feel that I'm empowered somehow I guess. If you add up the amount of time I spend choosing these essential life-preserving CDs, and convert it to the miserable hourly wages I'm getting, I will be able to afford any number of CDs of my fancy.

I have decided that to stop being frustrated and more importantly, late for work, I need a little stack of CDs that will "weather" any mood I'm in in the mornings. So if you have any suggestions, please let me know.


posted by Sharon K at 11:10 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




You can reach me at scornfate at gmail dot com, if you can be arsed.


 
  May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005


Site Feed


You are Site Meter

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger