[deletia]
It stands for everything that's been lost
Sunday, March 16, 2003
Brace yourself: Long post ahead!

I went swimming today because i'm quite concerned (ok, embarrassed) about my lack of tan lines and pasty complexion. I got up real early and walked to the swimming complex 15 minutes away. I think swimming in the pool alone (there were less than 10 people around) is therapeutic. So many random thoughts and songs that got stuck for no reason (there were 2 songs in my head today: 1. Foo Fighters, One by One and 2. the excellent Jesse Malin, Queen of the Underworld--they were taking turns: very polite).

Random thoughts:
1. I remember that the contrast between the grandstand roof and the blue sky was really strikingly nice from the far corner of the pool where i was lazing in the sun.
2. how tanning is but a mere illusion of good health. I'd much rather get tanned by swimming than actual sun-tanning. I feel more "accomplished" somehow.

this is where it gets real random:
3. why computer languages are accepted as a foreign language in colleges. I was thinking about how languages say more about the people who speak it than anything else. This is why the Eskimos have like 10000 words for snow, hail and other weather stuff, because they are so involved in that kind of environment. Whereas in Vietnam, they are more words associated with how one carries/holds stuff etc, because of the lifestyle that they lead.

The point I'm trying to make is that most human experiences are expressed through some kind of a sophiscated communal system of signs, gestures and words/writings. So, since programming languages are accepted as legitimate languages, what kind of human experiences do C++ and other programming languages express? I'm just curious. Does anyone know?
There is nothing more I would like to attempt than the learning of new languages. Because that is the surest way to know about a country's people and culture, I think.

I like this though:
it says YOU ARE DUMB in ACSII
I would really like to learn a computer language by myself. I would like to see what experiences can be generated through this. But where would I start? Advice/ Comments please!

4. yo la tengo's latest album "Summer Sun" will be out on April 8. This, together with the Singapore Film Fest in April makes me very happy indeed. More reasons to stay alive, I tell myself. I'm watching quite a number of shows but plans have not been finalised yet. Updates will be forthcoming.

/random thoughts

I am sad to report though that after swimming around in the hot sun for almost 2 hours (i think), I still don't have a good tan! Damnit! I dont tan easily that's why. But I intend to start swimming more often now.

posted by Sharon K at 10:35 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




You can reach me at scornfate at gmail dot com, if you can be arsed.


 
  May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005


Site Feed


You are Site Meter

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger