[deletia]
It stands for everything that's been lost
Friday, January 16, 2004
Being at the tail-end of my masters dissertation, I feel a strange mix of relief and nostalgia for it. On one hand, I'm really grateful that I won't have to try and make sense of Derrida and his difficult-to-follow brand of philosophy that is Deconstruction (try this for size: deconstruction is already in itself a failure; and it is from this failure that deconstruction arises [or something to that effect: it's not a quote]) again. I was also occupied with Kafka's short stories; so much so that I can more or less memorise some of his shorter parables and aphorisms.

In the past year, I had my brain worked to the limits just working out what Derrida means. Because his approaches are fundamental, that is, he approaches issues from their basic conditions of possibilities, I not only have to rethink the many assumptions that I have, but I also have to work out how these assumptions come into being in the first place.

But on the other hand, letting go of the thesis also means that I have to let go of the one thing that has most occupied me for the better part of almost 2 years; I can't help but feel a little rudderless at the moment. I really don't want to end up not remembering anything that I have written and have it become a distant memory.

Over the past 2 years, I hadn't read as much as I'd like to, mostly due to the other books that I have to read for the dissertation, but I think this would be a good time to start reading in ernest again. I'm particularly inspired by david's project to read 52 books in 52 weeks. I'm reading Kundera's Unbearable Lightness of Being. It's almost embarrassing to say that I've never read the book before, given that I am a Literature student and everything. And it's a really good read. I finished almost two-thirds of the book just last night, and I can't wait to get back home to finish it up tonight.

I'm not sure what is on the reading list next. But I have books that I have not read, so I guess I will start from there. But most of it are non-fiction, philosophy-type books. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
posted by Sharon K at 7:43 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




You can reach me at scornfate at gmail dot com, if you can be arsed.


 
  May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005


Site Feed


You are Site Meter

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger