[deletia]
It stands for everything that's been lost
Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Things You (wish you) Own Will End Up Owning You

I've been lusting after several things for the past week and it's eating me alive. I dont know if it's just me, but everytime I want something that's just been released, no bloody shop in Singapore will have it. And when you call the shops in such excitement and are all ready to give them all your money, noone will take it. Bloody idiots.

This is their first album in like 8 years. I was almost bubbling over the phone, hoping against hope that Borders (it shall now be known as "bloody borders") will have it. I know it's hard for music buyers to gauge demand sometimes but when it's Wedding Present's first album in 8 fucking years, you can't just bring in 1 copy. What is infuriating is that the idiots refuse to let me reserve it!! Fine. You wanna play hard ball. I shall call you every.single.day.till the shipment comes in.



Robbers on High Street have been, perhaps rightly, compared to Spoon, but after listening to a few of their tracks, I think they are pretty damn good in their own right. Listening to the tracks made me really want to get the album and of cos bloody borders dont have it; it's not even in their system. With the shipping costs as high as it is, I really dont know how I'm going to get my hands on this. These people are driving me to be a pirate!





I actually hesitated about posting this because it's a limited run EP--the last one Barsuk is releasing before DCFC skips over to the big boys. I'm so scared that it will be all sold out before i can get it. I guess when it comes down to it, I could live without this but they are offering a limited run of Tshirts too so I definitely need to get this. I'm a easy sucker for things like this. Stick the word "limited" in front of almost anything and something primal inside me will override all rational thinking. It's almost like I'm asking for it.



There's a lesson to be learnt here, I think. To prevent the frantic and ultimately disappointing phonecalls to bloody borders and HMV, I decided to shell out the money to pre-order the Mogwai (Government Commissions) and Yo La Tengo (Prisoners of Love). These are bands that I absolutely can't do without and with cheaper pre-order prices, I decided to go ahead with ordering them (though the shipping costs totally zapped out whatever "savings" I "enjoyed" by pre-ordering.



The Yo La Tengo is almost a mindless thing.
I have to have it. No question about it. It's a 3-cd compilation (and for the special pre-order price of US16, I thought it was pretty reasonable). From Matador website: "On March 22, we'll be releasing a career-spanning Yo La Tengo compilation, 'Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintilliating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003' in specially priced double CD and limited edition triple CD formats."

Ah.. there it is again: the word "limited edition."
posted by Sharon K at 6:32 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




You can reach me at scornfate at gmail dot com, if you can be arsed.


 
  May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005


Site Feed


You are Site Meter

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger